Monday, March 12, 2007

24 hours in a day - is it enough?

Sometimes I wonder if 24 hours in a day is enough. Do you ever feel like you run ragged from the time you get up until you flop down in bed? I do.

On one particularly busy day I began a litany in my head: There aren't enough hours in a day. If I could squeeze 2 more hours into a day, just think of all the pages I could type. How can time fly so fast? If my internet were faster, I wouldn't have to sit here for so long . . .

Sound familiar?

Then I started my list of things yet to do: fill the washer, empty the dishwasher, correct homeschool assignments, check my email, call mom, thaw something for supper . . .

But where on my list was: welcome my husband home with a kiss and a hug, ask him about his day, sit for a moment, or two, or three in prayer, read a book to the boys . . .

It sounds like I'm adding onto my first list and making the day even shorter, but isn't 24 hours enough to get those REALLY important things done? Yes, it is.

Is 24 hours enough to praise God for the ten loads of laundry waiting to be done? Yep.

Is 24 hours enough to thank God for leftovers? You bet.

In fact, 24 hours seems pretty adequate. God must have known that when He created the first day. :)

2 comments:

created2bless said...

I truly enjoyed the interview Paula had with Kathryn regarding the book, "Too Much Stuff", as God has definitely spoken to my heart about this same issue.
My youngest son, 19, has even asked me why I need all this stuff. Good question. I don't know why. Maybe I think it might possibly be needed one day, by someone, who knows. I surely don't, yet why I pay $50 a month for storage when I have a three car shop and two car garage I will never know. Our vehicles do not occupy wither of these buildings, just 'stuff'. I wrote a piece at created2bless.blogspot.com/ regarding simplifying for our sanity, but did not get any concrete ideas from this revelation, Help Paula!!!
Blessings to you all!

Janey DeMeo said...

This is a great blog Paula. Thank you for making it available to us.

I would love to win the book Too Much Stuff (I need it). Actually we're off to 4 African countries where I'll be bringing some of our stuff for the poor children we'll be working with. Wish there was room to bring more. Violent Sands would be a good second choice for the sheer pleasure of reading.

I'm also looking forward to reading your review of my parenting book, Heaven Help Me Raise These Children!

blessings,
Janey www.orphansfirst.org